Polygel has become popular lately, but what is Polygel made of?Polygel is made of a polymer called polyacrylate, which is like a mixture of acrylic powder and clean gel.
Polyacrylate was first discovered in the 1950s by Dr Takaoka, who tried to create an artificial rubber.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
The invention of polyacrylate led to the creation of many other products, including diapers and contact lenses. Polyacrylates are also used for things like paint strippers, adhesives, and sealants.
A new product that has just been introduced is called “Polygel” – it’s a gel-like substance that absorbs water and then expands into a solid mass when dry.
Polygel is a synthetic polymer, meaning it’s made of artificial materials.
It’s not biodegradable or compostable and can’t be recycled.
Polygel isn’t as toxic to humans, but the chemicals in it are harmful to aquatic life.
The main ingredients in Polygel are styrene and methyl methacrylate (MMA), which make up about 80% of the material.
Styrene is a known carcinogen that has been linked to liver cancer, leukaemia, and lymphoma.
Methyl methacrylate is used in acrylic nails because it hardens when exposed to UV light – this makes them difficult for water molecules to penetrate, so they don’t break down like natural nails do with time.
How do you make Polygel at home?
If you want to make your Polygel nails at home, follow these steps below:
1. Get a small bowl and fill it with water
2. Measure out the PolyGel powder, pour it into the water and stir well
3. Add about one tablespoon of liquid soap to the mixture, stirring again until all lumps are gone
4. Pour your mixture into an empty nail polish bottle or any other container that has a narrow opening on top
5. Cut off one end of a cotton ball so that you have a piece about 3/4 inch long
6. Push the cotton ball onto one side of your finger, so there is no air in between your skin and the cotton ball, then dip this finger in the PolyGel liquid while keeping pressure on your fingertip for 10-15 seconds before removing it from the liquid.
7. Continue this process until you have an opaque finish that’s smooth on all sides (about five coats)
8. Leave your nails to dry under some light for at least two hours or overnight before adding any embellishments like glitter, jewels, etc., if desired.
How do you apply Polygel to natural nails?
If you don’t know how to apply Polygel to your natural nails, check out these six easy steps below:
1. Apply a thin layer of Polygel to the natural nail
2. Allow it to dry for at least 10 minutes before applying another coat
3. Add a top coat and let it dry for an hour or more before you use your hands again
4. Be sure to wash your hands with soap and water after application, as well as any tools used during application (such as brushes)
5. Wear gloves when doing anything that could cause damage to the nails, such as housework or gardening
6. The products can be removed by soaking them in acetone-based nail polish remover, so don’t worry about damaging your nails while removing them!
If you are not sure about doing your nails at home, you can always go to the nails salon and let them do it for you.
Is acrylic the same as PolyGel?
Acrylic is not the same as Polugel; Acrylic is water-based, and PolyGel is oil-based.
Acrylic has a shorter drying time than PolyGel, which takes about 24 hours to fully dry.
The acrylic paint will be more transparent than the Polygel, which means that if you want an opaque colour, then use acrylics; if you want something translucent or sheer, then go with Polygel.
Acrylic paints are less expensive than PolyGel paints, and acrylics can be easily cleaned up with soap and water, while PolyGels require acetone for cleanup.
When using acrylics, it’s important to have a good quality brush because not all brushes are made equally – some may leave bristles behind in your finished product while others won’t shed at all.
What is the difference between Polygel and builder gel?
The difference between builder gel and Polygel is that builder gel requires less maintenance – just one coat every two weeks or so, while polygel needs to be redone every week or two.
Polygel nails are a better option for clients with thin, weak nails
Builder gel is a better option for clients who want to have more control over the shape and length of their nail extensions.
Builder gel is also a good choice if you plan on getting your nails done at home because it’s cheaper than going to the salon.
Pro tip: If you’re looking for natural-looking nails, get builder gel; if you want something flashy, go with Polygel.
One final note, Polygel last longer, but they can’t be removed as easily as builder gels.
Conclusion: What is Polygel made of?
Polygel is a polymer made of polyacrylate, which was first discovered in the 1950s by Dr Takaoka.
This invention led to other products like diapers and contact lenses. Polyacrylates are also used for many different purposes today, including making nail polish stronger and creating hair gel that doesn’t flake or create build-up on your scalp!
PolyGel nails are a great way to make your custom nail polish and can be done at home. You’ll need some basic supplies like powder, liquid soap and water.
But the process is simple, and you don’t have to worry about breathing in harmful fumes from chemicals or getting an allergic reaction from artificial dyes. If you want more information on how to do it yourself, check out our blog post here for all of the steps!
Polygel is a great product for those who want to protect their natural nails from splitting and breaking! It can also be used as an effective base coat.
If you’re not sure how to use this nail strengthener, we have six easy steps to help you out.
Take a look at them above, and don’t forget the last step of washing your hands after applying Polygel!
You may find our blog post about other ways you can keep your nails healthy helpful too.
What’s been one way that has helped make your natural nails stronger?