If you’re not happy with the size of your dress, don’t worry – you can learn how to make a dress bigger. All you need is some basic sewing skills and a little bit of creativity. accuracy and comprehensiveness.
Reasons Why People Try To Make Their Dress Bigger
People wear clothing for different reasons. Some people might wear clothing to cover their bodies, while others might wear clothing to express themselves. There are many different reasons why people might try to make their dress bigger. Some of these reasons include the following:
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
1. To look thinner: Some people might try to make their dress bigger to look thinner. This is especially common among women who are unhappy with their body shape or weight.
2. To look more voluptuous: Other people might try to make their dress bigger to appear more voluptuous. This is often done by adding fabric or wearing a larger size than normal.
3. To look taller: A few people might try to make their dress bigger to look taller. This is usually done by adding fabric to the bottom of the dress or choosing a style with a longer hemline.
4. To look more mature: Some people might try to make their dress bigger to appear more mature. This is often done by choosing a style that is less youthful and more sophisticated.
5. To cover up flaws: A few people might try to make their dress bigger to cover up their flaws. For example, someone who is self-conscious about their arms might wear a long-sleeved dress.
6. To feel more confident: Finally, some people might try to make their dress bigger to feel more confident. This is often done by adding fabric to the dress or choosing a more flattering style. Wearing a larger size can also make someone feel more confident, as it can make them feel like they are in control.
If you want to learn how to make your dress bigger for any of the reasons above or some other reason, we got you. We’ve made a detailed explanation below.
How To Make A Dress Bigger
Let Out The Seams
Is your dress too tight? Do you feel like you can’t breathe? Well, don’t worry, there is a solution! Let out the seams to make your dress bigger. This is a great option if you’ve recently lost weight or if you just want a little more breathing room.
To let out the seams, all you need is a sewing kit and some patience. First, take off the dress and lay it out flat on a table. Next, identify where the seams are and mark them with pins. Then, use a seam ripper to carefully rip open the seams. Once they’re open, use a ruler to measure how much additional fabric you need and cut it accordingly. Finally, sew the new fabric back into place and re-sew the seams.
It’s a good idea to let out the seams before you wear the dress, rather than after. That way, you’ll have plenty of breathing room and you won’t have to worry about it being too tight. Plus, you’ll look more comfortable and confident in your dress!
Add Some More Fabric
If you want to make your dress bigger, you can add some more fabric to the waistline. This will help to create more room and give you a more comfortable fit. Be sure to take into account the existing seamlines when adding your new fabric, so that everything matches up correctly.
You can also use this method to make a dress smaller if needed. Simply cut down on the amount of fabric that you add to the waistline.
Add A Side Zipper
The side zipper is a great way to make your dress bigger because it gives you more room to breathe. You can use this method to add a side zipper to any dress, even if it doesn’t have one already.
To add a side zipper, you will need:
- A sewing machine
- The thread that matches the fabric of your dress
- A needle
- Zipper that matches the color of your dress
1. Pin the zipper in place on the seam of the dress where you want it to be. The top of the zipper should be even with the top of the dress, and the bottom of the zipper should be even with the bottom of the dress.
2. sew the zipper in place using a sewing machine. Be sure to sew very close to the zipper teeth so that the fabric doesn’t fray.
3. Cut off any excess zipper with scissors.
4. Turn the dress inside out and admire your new side zipper!
Alter The Underarms
There are several ways that you can alter the underarms of your clothing to make it bigger. For example, if you have a dress with tight-fitting underarms, you can use fabric glue or seam binding to make the armholes larger. You can also use a needle and thread to sew fabric over the armholes to make them wider. If you’re looking for a more permanent solution, you can also purchase sewing patterns that are designed specifically for enlarging the armholes of clothing.
Another way to enlarge the armholes of your clothing is to use bias tape. Bias tape is a type of fabric tape that is used to bind or edge fabrics. It is available in a variety of colors and textures, and it can be purchased at most fabric stores. To use bias tape to enlarge the armholes of your clothing, first cut a piece of bias tape that is the same length as the circumference of the armhole. Then, fold the bias tape in half so that the two raw edges are facing each other. Pin the bias tape in place around the armhole, and sew it in place using a sewing machine or by hand.
If you’re not comfortable with altering the underarms of your clothing yourself, you can also take your clothes to a tailor who can do it for you. Just be sure to tell them how much enlargement you need so that they can adjust the pattern accordingly.
Stretch The Clothes And Remove Darts
If there is a dart in your dress, you will need to remove it before you can stretch the fabric. To do this, cut the thread that holds the dart in place and spread the fabric apart. You can then stretch the fabric out to make it bigger. Be sure to press the fabric flat once you have stretched it so that it stays in shape.
Once the fabric is stretched, you can begin to remove the darts. To do this, pinch one end of the dart and pull it away from the dress. Then, use your scissors to cut along the lines of the dart. Be careful not to cut into the fabric too much or you may make a hole.
When you are finished removing the darts, stretch the dress again to make sure that it is the right size.