You can sit down after a spray tan, but the length of time you need to wait varies from person to person. Sitting down after a spray tan is fine if your clothes don’t rub against your skin.
If you want to be safe, wait at least 8 hours before sitting down after a spray tan. Also, wear dark, loose-fitting clothing and sit on something that won’t leave marks on your skin.
Of course, it also depends on the type of spray tan you get.
For Mystic spray tans, you should wait at least 8 hours before sitting in leather, latex, or other synthetic materials. If you are unsure about a material, don’t sit on it until your tan has set.
For VersaSpa spray tans, you should wait at least 3 hours before sitting on leather, latex, or other synthetic materials. If you are unsure about a material, don’t sit on it until your tan has set.
If you are wearing old or non-colorfast clothing, use dark-colored towels to sit on after a spray tan. Do this to avoid staining anything light-colored with your new tan.
Keep reading if you want to find out more about the do’s and don’ts of spraying tans.
- Do and Don’ts After a Spray Tan?
- How Long Does it Take for Spray Tan to Dry?
- Should You Spray Tan Your Face?
- How Long After a Spray Tan Can I Wear Jeans?
- Is There any Special Spray Tan Aftercare?
- Conclusion: Can I Sit Down After a Spray Tan?
Do and Don’ts After a Spray Tan?
As with anything, there are dos and don’ts that you should follow after a spray tan – each of which is critical to having a great spray tan with no issues or unevenness.
If you want to know the do and don’ts of a spray tan, check out this list below:
- Don’t perform any activities that cause you to sweat heavily or rub the skin.
- Don’t shower or bathe for eight hours after spray tanning.
- Don’t wear anything that could rub off your tan, such as tight-fitting clothing, bras, or stockings.
- Do moisturize your skin with a non-oily, alcohol-free moisturizer every day.
- Do pat dry your skin after bathing instead of rubbing it with a towel.
- Use a loofah, washcloth, or exfoliating gloves to remove dead and flaking skin when you bathe gently.
- Use gentle cleansers to avoid over-drying your skin until the spray tan wears off.
After getting a spray tan, there are certain things that you should do and some things that you should avoid doing. If you follow the list above, you won’t make a mistake.
How Long Does it Take for Spray Tan to Dry?
It usually takes about 15 minutes to half an hour for your spray tan to dry. If you need to put on pants or any tight clothing, it is best to wait at least 8 hours before doing so.
Spray tans require some extra care before and after the application. You can tell the spray tan is dry if it no longer feels sticky on your skin and you do not feel like the tan will come off on your clothes when walking around.
The time it takes for a spray tan to dry will vary based on the type and quality of the product you are using.
If you need to put on clothing no sooner than 8 hours after your spray tan session, you can wear loose clothing right away.
Another crucial point is that you shouldn’t bathe for at least 6-8 hours, ideally 24 hours, after your spray tan! It takes time for your spray tan to set.
Should You Spray Tan Your Face?
It’s ok to spray tan your face, but you should probably do a test of the solution on your skin first, especially if you have sensitive skin. If you opt to get a spray tan on your face, avoid facials shortly before since the tanner can get into the enlarged pores on your skin and form blackhead-looking patches.
There are two main types of spray tanning: airbrush and mist. Airbrush spray tans may be better for the face because they don’t get into pores as quickly.
There are a few reasons why you shouldn’t spray tan your face:
- First, the skin on your face is different from the skin on the rest of your body.
- It is more sensitive, but there are areas around the eyes, near your nose, mouth, and ears that are harder to get to with a spray gun.
- You can always do some touch-ups after spraying in a certain spot while there’s still lots of color residue left on your skin. Yet, it’s not easy to remove color afterwards in spots where you don’t want color or in places where the skin is thinner or more sensitive.
- The skin on your face may react differently to the ingredients found in self-tanning solutions. DHA (dihydroxyacetone), for example, can cause breakouts for some people.
- Due to the fact that it’s an active ingredient, it could also make existing skin conditions like rosacea or eczema worse if you have them.
- Other ingredients like alcohol can dry out the delicate skin on your face and give it a dull appearance if you use them too often.
How Long After a Spray Tan Can I Wear Jeans?
Wait at least eight hours after a spray tan to wear jeans. Choose loose or stretchy jeans or jeans with extra room in the thighs and seat for best comfort after a spray tan. If you don’t have to wear jeans, we recommend wearing loose-fitting shorts or skirts.
It takes anywhere from 4 to 8 hours for the bronzing solution to fully develop. During this time, the skin will be very sensitive and may rub off on too-tight clothing, including jeans.
If you have already worn skin-tight jeans before your spray tan is appropriately dry, try to exfoliate the tan away sooner rather than later. To maintain your spray tan, switch between pairs of tight and looser fitting jeans often so that the fabric is not too tight against your skin.
If you want to keep your tan as long as possible, avoid tight clothing for as long as possible after application.
Is There any Special Spray Tan Aftercare?
Yes. To get the most out of your tan, you must take proper care of your skin at all times. If you are going to be exposed to UV rays, you should always wear at least SPF 15. In addition, you should stay hydrated and eat a healthy diet.
Let’s go over these suggestions in further depth. They will not only assist you with your spray tan aftercare but will also help you maintain healthy skin in general.
It’s no surprise that our skin gets exhausted after all the things we put it through, from waxing and showers to trying new skincare products! Try the following steps to help your skin heal and adhere to proper spray tan aftercare:
- Avoid using harsh soaps that contain damaging chemicals.
- Moisturize your skin on a daily basis.
- Take cooler and shorter showers.
- When shaving, apply shaving cream to your skin to moisten it.
Implement a nutritious diet
Your diet has an impact on your skin’s health and can make you look and feel your best. Consume plenty of fruits, vegetables, healthy grains, and lean proteins. To nourish your skin, take supplements such as fish oil and avoid harmful oils and highly processed carbs.
Drinking plenty of water improves your skin and also your overall health. One suggestion is to drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water every day. Another option is to divide your body weight in half and consume that quantity of water in ounces. If you weigh 176 pounds, you would consume 88 ounces per day.
Always wear sun protection
The final step is to always wear sunscreen. UV rays can trigger skin damage such as wrinkles and skin discoloration, as well as raise your risk of skin cancer.
So, even if you don’t plan on spending much time outside, always wear at least an SPF 15 sunscreen – even a small amount of sun can harm your skin’s health.
Even though these spray tan aftercare suggestions are unrelated to your actual spray tan, they do encourage healthy skin, which is essential for achieving a radiant tan.
Conclusion: Can I Sit Down After a Spray Tan?
Luckily, the answer is yes. You don’t have to wait 24 hours before wearing jeans or sitting down!
To ensure that you have the best possible results from your spray tan, it is essential to take good care of yourself after you get one. One of the benefits of a spray tan is that it does not need much maintenance, so you should be able to wear jeans fairly soon following your spray.
And one more thing! Remember to constantly apply sunscreen, stay hydrated, and eat a healthy diet to keep your skin healthy! Not only will your skin be grateful, but so will your entire body!
Are you ready to glow?
You can read more about tanning in our other blog posts.