If you want to put blonde highlights in brown hair at home, you can do it easily by following these instructions below:
1. Find a picture of the color you want to achieve (blonde)
2. Lighten your hair with bleach or lightener according to the instructions on the box
3. Apply toner and developer – mix them in equal parts
4. Comb through your hair with a fine-toothed comb
5. Spray with hairspray for added protection against humidity, heat, and breakage
6. Wait 45 minutes before shampooing out the color if you’re using permanent dye; wait 24 hours if you’re using semi-permanent dye
Every hair is different, so if you haven’t done this before, you may end up dissatisfied. It is always best to consult a professional for help about choosing the right product for your hair.
If you scroll down, you will get more information about highlighting your hair without foil or naturally.
How do you put blonde highlights in dark brown hair without turning it orange?
The best way to avoid an orange outcome is by using a shampoo or conditioner with purple or blue undertones in them.
If you are not sure, don’t worry just check out these pro tips below:
1. Start with a shampoo that is sulfate-free, color-safe and clarifying
2. Apply the blonde highlights to the hair strand by strand
3. Use an old toothbrush or comb to apply toner
4. Rinse out the toner before it dries on your hair
5. Apply conditioner after you have washed your hair for extra protection against damage
6. Protect your skin from UV rays while getting sun exposure. You should do that so that you don’t get burned or suffer from premature aging
A lot of people think they’re doing something wrong when it turns out orange, but this is just because they don’t know how to do it correctly.
If you want highlights that aren’t too light, you should choose a shade with some brown tones in them.
If you are not sure which color to choose, always talk to a professional before buying something. A professional will help you avoid huge mistakes with your hair because dying your hair can’t be reversed easily.
How to highlight hair at home without foil
Instead of foil, you can use plastic wraps for the same purpose; they will do the same job. You will just need plastic wraps, scissors and dye.
We use tin foil to wrap up the piece of hair after we have put the dye on it.
With foil, you can have complete control over the color of your hair, plus it helps you separate the hair perfectly.
Some experienced hairdressers don’t use foil, but you should definitely use one if you are a beginner.
If you want to get highlights naturally without using neither foil nor bleach, you should keep on reading.
Can you highlight hair with color instead of bleach?
You can highlight your hair with color if the hair is ” virgin” – in the sense that you haven’t dyed it before completely.
If you have dyed your hair or really dark natural hair, you will have to go with bleach.
Bleach is mostly used for any color base because it can lighten your hair fast. Hair bleaching is a chemical dye technique that helps you get highlights, but it can damage your hair.
If you haven’t bleached your hair before, you shouldn’t try it out now because you can have damaged hair.
There are some products that you can put on your hair or in the bleach to help your hair recover from it easily.
Hair dye damages your hair less, so it is always a better option. However, we do have another option for you, so keep on reading.
How to highlight hair at home naturally
You can highlight your hair at home naturally by trying out these things below:
- Mix organic lemon juice with conditioner
- Increase doses of vitamin C
- Apply a cinnamon and honey mask every week
- Use sage tea for rinsing your hair
- Use apple cider vinegar or hydrogen peroxide
The last one can be a bit damaging to your hair, so we recommend you try everything else first.
If you want to try apple cider vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, you should add some cooking oil to your hair care routine for recovery.
You should know that all of these options above are less effective than dying your hair. However, 90% of them don’t damage your hair, and you will notice a change.
If you are young and you want highlights, we recommend using natural methods first. You will need a lot of patience, but you will be happy in the end.
Conclusion- How to put blonde highlights in brown hair at home
If you want to put blonde highlights in brown hair, you just need to lighten your hair with bleach or lightener according to the instructions on the box.
You can use foil or plastic wraps to divide your hair and paint it equally. This sounds easy, but there are a lot of mistakes you can make on the way.
We don’t recommend dying your hair on your own because you may damage your hair or end up with orange hair.
Orange hair is due to the wrong tone color, so you should talk to a professional before changing your hair color.
If you haven’t dyed your hair before, you can try using hair dye instead of bleach; it is less damaging.
The best way to follow our tips for lightening your hair naturally is with things you have at home if you are into highlights.
It may take a few months, but you will eventually see the results without damaging your hair. Try it out before you do anything else; you won’t regret it.
Read this blog post for more information about highlights. Have you tried dying your hair on your own? If yes, let us know how it turned out in the comments below.